01293 889691 / [email protected] 

Welcome to TWO's Application Portal.  This is the home for lots of useful information to support the visa application process.  

Tuberculosis Screening: Visa Applications From Outside the UK 

Published 31 August 2023 
When applying for a UK visa to come to the UK for more than 6 months, individuals may need to include a tuberculosis screening certificate as part of their visa application. This article summarises who needs to undertake tuberculosis screening, and how to go about doing this.  

Who needs to have tuberculosis screening? 

You will need to have a tuberculosis (TB) test if you are coming to the UK for more than 6 months and either: 
you live in any of these listed countries 
you have lived in any of these listed countries in the past 6 months 
You will not need a TB test if any of the following apply: 
you’re a diplomat accredited to the UK 
you’re a returning UK resident and have not been away for more than 2 years 
you lived for at least 6 months in a country where TB screening is not required by the UK, and you’ve been away from that country for no more than 6 months 
All children must see a clinician who’ll decide if they need a chest x-ray. Children under 11 will not normally have a chest x-ray. 

What happens during the screening? 

You will be given a chest x-ray to test for TB. If the result of the x-ray is not clear, you may also be asked to give a sputum sample (phlegm coughed up from your lungs). 
If your test shows that you do not have TB, you will be given a certificate which is valid for 6 months from the date of your x-ray. You must include this certificate with your UK visa application. 
You must take your child to an approved clinic and complete a health questionnaire. If the clinician decides your child does not have TB they’ll give you a certificate. Include this certificate with your child’s UK visa application. 
Pregnant women 
You can choose: 
an x-ray with an extra shield to protect you and your unborn child in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters 
a sputum test (phlegm coughed up from your lungs) - there may be an extra fee and you could wait up to 8 weeks for results to wait until after delivery. 

Where do you need to go for screening? 

You must be tested at a clinic that has been approved by the Home Office.  
Some countries have approved clinics where you can get tested. Some countries do not have approved testing centres so you will need to get tested in a different country. There are two different links to find the most convenient location for your circumstances: 


There will be a fee for the test, in the local currency at the clinic. The cost of the test is in addition to the visa application fee. 
The fee is not refundable if the person tests positive for TB or decides not travel to the UK, or their visa is refused. 
The test fee does not cover treatment if you already have TB. 
Whilst we endeavour to produce accurate and up to date information, the UK government can, and does, change the immigration rules on a frequent basis. This website is for information purposes and does not replace individual immigration advice. Please consult your immigration advisor to discuss your personal circumstances. We would be happy to help with this, please use the contact us section of this website. 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings